How to Create Curls & Waves with Hair Straighteners
Posted by Revamp UK on Jan 29th 2020
Hair straighteners are an essential piece of every hairstyling kit. Not only are they ideal to use to smooth any unwanted strands of hair that look uneven, but they can also create a range of different hairstyles just by switching the technique you use. Whether you prefer curls with definition, loose waves or poker straight hairstyles, they are all quick and easy to achieve with hair straighteners. It can take a little bit of practice to get the right techniques, but once you’ve perfected them, you can easily revamp your look. Follow us as we take you through the possibilities.
Some prefer defined curls whereas others prefer a softer, bouncy look. The choice is entirely yours, and both can be easily achieved with our Progloss Touch Digital Hair Straightener or Progloss Digital Hair Straightener. Before applying any heat to your hair, ensure you select a temperature suited to your specific hair type. You'll get better curls by tackling your hair in sections rather than trying to take it on all at once.
- Take one piece of hair at a time and place your hair straightener near the top of the strand, a couple of inches away from the roots. Clamp the hair with the straightener as if you were going to straighten your hair, facing downwards vertically. From here, twist the hair straightener either down and completely round, or up and completely round, depending on the direction you wish your curls to be.
- From here GENTLY glide the straightener through the hair. You can keep twisting as you go for more enhanced curls or simply glide the hair through as it is for larger curls.
- If you like a more natural look alternate the direction you curl your hair, or for a bigger bouncier look simply use the same direction throughout your hair.
- Leave your curls to set and cool for at least 10 minutes before making any adjustments. You can keep your curls defined as they are, or gently brush through them with your fingers for a softer finish.
If you want to liven up your hairstyles with a little bit of texture, loose
waves are a perfect choice. Hair straighteners can go beyond perfectly formed
curls and create a more relaxed hairstyle to suit any occasion. All you need to
do to create soft beach waves is switch up the technique.
- Take one piece of hair at a time and place your hair straightener near the top of the strand, a couple of inches away from the roots. Clamp the hair with the straightener as if you were going to straighten your hair, facing downwards vertically. From here, twist the hair straightener either down and completely round, or up, but only roughly half-way.
- Gently glide the straightener through the hair, only about 1 inch to create the first wave. Switch the direction you have turned the straightener and glide another inch. Keep alternating the direction of the waves until you reach the end of the section of hair. Continue to use this technique for every section of hair.
- Leave your waves to set and cool for at least 10 minutes before making any adjustments. Gently use your fingers to style the waves and add more texture.